I will admit that I am not a huge fan of eggnog and much prefer to stuff my face with cookies than get full on a heavy drink, but this homemade version of eggnog is actually something I could see myself drinking to wash down said cookies.
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Beat the egg yolks with mixer until they lighten in color, gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and beat until completely dissolved
- In a medium saucepan bring the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and gradually add the hot mixture into the egg and sugar.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Gradually add 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the egg whites in the chilled mixture.
This mixture will separate once in the fridge, but you just shake it up before drinking and you are good to go! Also for an extra kick for the adults you can add 3 ounces of bourbon to really warm your bones on that chilly Christmas Eve!
We are hosting Christmas Eve at our house this year so we’ve been in complete chaos for the past couple days prepping. I can’t wait to have our families together for dinner and gifts! It will also be the first year that my sister and her fiance sleep over so we get to have Christmas morning together. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and I’ll see you next week!